• A
    • A
    • A

How to ask for help

If you are worried about your mental wellbeing or that of someone else, knowing where to turn can be difficult. But there is lots of help and advice out there and SAGES aims to help you find what you need.

If you are unable to find the information you are after, please use our feedback form and we will do our best to help.

Here are some of the services you can contact to take first steps in getting information and support…

Visit your GP

Your GP is a great first step if you are worried about your mental wellbeing or that of someone else. They will be able to talk to you about how you are feeling, what options are available to you and can refer you on for further help.

All GP surgeries also have staff called mental health link workers working with them on a part time basis. Mental health link workers can help discuss specific mental health concerns and refer you on to further support. Contact your local GP surgery to find out more and ask how to make an appointment, as the process can vary from surgery to surgery.

Self-Refer to the Wellbeing Service

Wellbeing is a free NHS service which can offer different options for support if you are experiencing common mental wellbeing issues, such as low mood, anxiety or stress.

Wellbeing offer access to courses and groups or peer support, online guided self-help and one to one support and counselling if appropriate.

If you are aged 15 and under, contact your GP or other health and social care professional who can support you to be referred.

If you are aged 16 and over you can access support through you GP or you can self-refer by calling 0300 123 1503 or click to see their online form below.

View the online form

Suffolk Mind

Suffolk Mind offers a wide variety of support and activities. Call 0300 111 6000 or visit www.suffolkmind.org.uk to find out more.

Suffolk Family Carers

If you are an adult who provides unpaid support or care or if you are a child/young person supporting or affected by someone living with an illness or disability, physical or mental, you area a family carer and may be eligible for support.

Suffolk Family Carers can help you access carer assessments, as well as a variety of information courses, groups and one to one support.

Please call 01473 835477 or access us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Our website address is www.suffolkfamilycarers.org

Talk to someone

The Samaritans are available 24/7 on 116 123 or by emailing [email protected]

Elefriends is a supportive online community for adults offered by Mind www.elefriends.org.uk

Childline is available to offer a counselling service for children and young people, or if you are an adult concerned about a child. Dial 0800 1111 or use their online chat service here: www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/

4YP offer confidential advice, drop-in sessions and counselling. They also offer online webchat to Young People workers for information and advice on anything. www.4yp.org.uk